Helping engineers lead the way to a healthier, sustainable Aotearoa.
Be a leader in taking action on climate change
Navigate one of the most pressing issues facing humanity and the planet today with this new self-led online module on climate change.
Climate change is a reality – it’s happening here, in Aotearoa, and it’s happening now.
How we respond is increasingly prioritised by society, and will continue to drive strategy, policy, and funding decisions into the future.
Engineering Climate Action is our programme to support engineers to take positive action to address climate change through mitigation, transition and adaptation. Our position is:
- anthropogenic climate change is already affecting Aotearoa New Zealand – this will continue and the negative effects will increase
- the time for action is now
- we need engineers to be climate action leaders
- incorporating te ao Māori and engaging with Māori is critical
- the transition to a net zero economy must be equitable and just
- Engineering New Zealand will proactively lead, collaborate, and support the profession.
Read more in our position statement
What we're doing for you
Engineering practice, as well as thought leadership and advocacy, are at the heart of Engineering Climate Action. Our new resources will help you get started:
- Climate Change 101 – An introductory guide describes what climate change is and contributing factors, as well as definitions for key concepts. Our Practice guidance for engineers sets out basic responsibilities of engineers in responding to climate change.
- Businesses can utilise our resource about how to measure and manage your carbon footprint.
- You may have valuable expertise that you’re willing to share as we advocate for the engineering profession. Find out about our Climate Action Engineers Directory.