Working overseas can be an exciting life experience. Being a member of Engineering New Zealand enables you to travel and work more easily, as your skills and qualifications have been benchmarked to an international standard. The first step to working overseas is to get a visa. Then there are some specific requirements for each country.

Engineers undertaking work overseas may be exposing themselves to insurance and liability risks, without knowing it. 

Read more about working abroad with confidence

Engineering New Zealand Accredited Programmes

Engineering New Zealand is a signatory to a series of international accords. These accords establish a benchmark standard which can be internationally recognised. Engineering New Zealand accredits programmes against this benchmark, so graduates can be confident their qualification meets a widely recognised international standard. This can assist with finding employment in both accord and non-accord jurisdictions.

International Registers

Engineering New Zealand is also a member of several international competence agreements, which benchmark standards and establish international registers. We offer 3 international registers:

  • International Professional Engineer (IntPE)/APEC Engineers Register
  • International Engineering Technologist (IntET)
  • International Engineering Technician (IntETn)

Engineering New Zealand maintains the international engineers' registers within New Zealand. It's part of our role with the International Engineering Alliance (IEA). Registration is available to engineers that are Chartered Members of Engineering New Zealand and meet the required standard. These standards are set out in the IEA competence agreements.

Engineers on the New Zealand section of any of these registers can market themselves as having demonstrated professional competence to an agreed international standard and may get credit towards the membership or registration process in other member jurisdictions.

Find out more about joining a register

Bi-lateral Agreements and Relationships

Beyond the general benefits of having an accredited qualification or being on an international register, we also have specific bil-lateral agreements or relationships with several international partners that members benefit from.   


Membership body: Engineers Australia (EA)

We have a close relationship with Engineers Australia and Chartered Members of Engineering New Zealand can apply for equivalent membership of Engineers Australia through a streamlined pathway.

Several states in Australia operate mandatory engineer registration schemes or are in the process of introducing one. While Engineers Australia has been advocating for national consistency, each scheme is a little different. The latest information on registration in each state can be found on the Engineers Australia website.

Engineers should make their own assessment about the need to be registered in a particular state, but the requirement may cover engineering services delivered “in the state” or “for the state”. Exemptions may relate to work undertaken under the direct supervision of a registered engineer or work that is in accordance with a prescriptive standard.


Accreditation bodies: Engineers Canada (EC) and the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (CCTT)

The term ‘engineer’ is protected in Canada and this has created separate accreditation and registration systems for Professional Engineers and for Engineering Technicians and Technologists. Membership and Registration in Canada is through provincial associations, which are affiliated to EC or CCTT.

More on engineering in Canada

Hong Kong

Membership body: Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE)

The Reciprocal Recognition Agreement with HKIE is currently being updated, however Chartered Members of Engineering New Zealand can still apply for HKIE Corporate Membership. 

More on engineering in Hong Kong


Membership body: Engineers Ireland (EI)

We have a close cooperative relationship with Engineers Ireland and Engineering New Zealand Chartered Members can apply for equivalent membership of Engineers Ireland through a streamlined pathway that is defined through a formal Admissions Pathways Agreement.

The engineering profession isn’t highly regulated in Ireland. Most engineers can simply work there once they have a visa.


Membership body: Institute of Professional Engineers Samoa (IPES)

You must apply for registration with IPES before you can legally work as an engineer in Samoa. You can apply via online on IPES website or by emailing your application form and requirements (application form and checklist can be printed from IPES Website) to the IPES Registrar. You must also provide proof of your Engineering New Zealand Chartered Membership or Chartered Professional Engineer registration. Once approved you’ll be sent a letter of acceptance and be asked to pay your registration fee.

United Kingdom

Represented by: Engineering Council United Kingdom (ECUK)

Engineering New Zealand members can apply for equivalent membership of any institution licensed by the ECUK. This is part of an Admissions Pathways Agreement signed between Engineering New Zealand and the ECUK, which is designed to streamline the process. Structural engineers that want to become members of IStructE will still need to pass a written assessment. 

We also have an agreement with the Institution of Civil Engineers in the UK (ICE) which provides a discount for Associate Membership (AMICE) for eligible members of Engineering New Zealand. 

Find out more on ICE membership

United States

Represented by: National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES)

Professional societies in the United States are discipline specific, while licensing is managed by State Registration Boards. Recognition of international accords and agreements varies between states. Engineering New Zealand does have an agreement with Nevada, which provides a streamlined registration pathway for engineers on our IntPE register. Registrants are still required to take an open-book assessment to ensure they understand the legislative requirements of registered engineers in Nevada.  

For other states, you will need to take the Practice of Engineering (PE) exam which tests for a minimum level of competency in a particular discipline. It’s an 8-hour exam with 80 questions. You may also be required to take the Fundamentals exam, designed for recent graduates and students who are close to finishing their undergraduate engineering degree. That exam is 6 hours with 110 questions. You also need to have your degree evaluated by NCEES and take the state-specific open book exam. 

We are currently seeking agreement with other states to simplify the process. 

Other jurisdictions 

The following countries operate a national section of one or more of the international registers. New Zealand Registrants may receive credit towards their membership or registration application.

Chinese Taipei

Membership body: Chinese Institute of Engineers (CIE)  


Membership body: Institution of Engineers India (IEI)  


Membership body: Persatuan Insinyur Indonesia (PII)


Membership body: Institution of Professional Engineers Japan (IPEJ)


Membership body: Korean Professional Engineers Association (KPEA)


Membership body: Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM)


Membership body: Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC)


Membership body: Philippine Technological Council (PTC) 


Membership body: Peruvian Engineers Association/Colegio de Ingenieros del Perù (PEA/CIP)


Membership body: Association for Engineering Education of Russia (AEER) 


Membership body: Institution of Engineers Singapore (IES) 

South Africa

Membership body: Engineering Council South Africa (ECSA) 

Sri Lanka

Membership body: Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka (IESL) 


Represented by: Council of Engineers Thailand (COE)