The European Hygienic Engineering Design Group (EHEDG) of New Zealand is a Regional Section of EHEDG ‘International’. EHEDG is a not-for-profit organisation, based and founded in the Netherlands in 1989, by industry to enable safe food production by providing guidance as the leading authority on hygienic design and engineering.
The New Zealand Regional Section was established in 2019 to increase awareness of hygienic engineering, develop guidance and solutions for New Zealand industry, and to provide a platform to link NZ stakeholders with EHEDG, facilitating networking between hygienic engineering experts from around the world.
What they do
EHEDG New Zealand aims to:
- Grow an active and vibrant EHEDG membership in New Zealand representing all industry stakeholders, covering equipment manufacturers and suppliers, maintenance and systems engineers, food safety & quality advisors, food manufacturers and processors, regulators and academia.
- Advance the core EHEDG platform objectives of:
- Developing guideline documents on hygienic design requirements and practices based on science and technology to ensure compliance with relevant legislation
- Identify areas where hygienic design knowledge is insufficient and initiate and promote R&D in those areas
- Provide EHEDG certified training and education courses
- Providing a platform for exchange of knowledge and experience.
- Organise seminar and outreach events on current topics of industry issue involving hygienic design.
- Collaborate with other Industry Technical Groups to share knowledge and advance hygienic design awareness.
- Facilitate the integration of hygienic design credits into Food Technology and Engineering Degrees.
Membership to EHEDG New Zealand is by way of affiliation through membership to EHEDG (International).
Membership categories include Company, Institute, and Individual.
As a member, you'll have access to exclusive member benefits (dependent on category) such as:
- Use of the EHEDG logo under agreed conditions
- Publication of your Company or Institute name on the EHEDG website with a hyperlink to your own website
- The complete series of EHEDG Guidelines including updates for free downloading by registered staff members
- Access to the global membership network of contacts
- Discounted fees for EHEDG training courses and EHEDG sponsored events
- Networking and awareness events.
EHEDG New Zealand and NZIFST (New Zealand Institute of Food Science & Technology) also have a collaborative agreement for industry good for the New Zealand food industry through the formation of a ‘Hygienic Design & Food Engineering’ Special Interest Group to:
- Deliver a dedicated hygienic design forum at the NZIFST Annual Conference
- Organise branch events through regional NZIFST sections
- Provide on-line training opportunities
- Foster student participation
- EHEDG NZ affiliated members are encouraged to join NZIFST as regular members to take advantage of these additional benefits.